Tuesday, August 01, 2006

RESISTING TEMPTATION

On Saturday I received an envelope from Wool Worths. I love Woolies and shop there every chance I get. Their clothing is really good quality and it lasts forever. Now, inside this envelope was a letter offering me a ready to use account, which included the card with my name on it and R2 500 available credit – all I had to do was go there with my ID book to activate it and it was all mine!!!

But you see, Happy and I are determined not to make debt and we are busy working through our other debt and doing very well with it too. Now I am really REALLY running low on clothing and shoes cause a while ago I went through my closet and threw out everything that I don’t wear or that doesn’t fit right and that I didn’t like – which was practically everything. And I am left with about 10 items of clothing – if that, that I can wear and that I like to wear. And I am wearing the same old things to work all the time. This is nobody’s fault but mine cause I used to do a lot of “impulsive buying” – but I have learned from that, which is why I have at least those 10 or so items which I know for a fact fit right. And my favourite jeans that I love are starting to come apart at the seams – and are getting too big for me so now the feel funny when I wear them.

Oh boy - was I ever tempted to keep that card and try to convince Happy that we could afford it and pay it off and all that, but those thoughts only lasted about 10 seconds and then I destroyed the card – I think it was one of the most difficult things that I have ever done. And God’s word also says that we should not make debt – so it was a case of being obedient to God and Happy.

I remember saying while I was destroying it – “Lord this is so hard…” but I was instantly reminded of the time I heard Joyce Meyer saying that when we are obedient it will always hurt in some way, cause obedience is a test of faith, it will not always be easy to obey the Lord.
Well, I can tell you – I felt that. I still feel it!! But I know in my heart I did the right thing and I feel proud of what I did, I resisted the temptation to go and spend that money and I resisted the temptation of making debt. “Resist the devil and he shall flee from you.” And I can tell y’all – he did!! He ran for the hills.

I am spiritually stronger now cause I know – I can resist, it is a really good feeling!!

Oh, and you all remember that shoulder press thingy that I couldn't do a few days ago?
Well, guess what - I did it! I did it!
I lifted 10kg - not just one!!!! Woohoo!!
Another small victory for ME!!!

Dance of happiness going on right here.....

11 comments:

AngelConradie said...

woohoo! dance of happiness going on here too!

Kelly said...

Do you have thrift stores? That is where I get most of my clothing. You can get nice stuff for a couple of bucks.

Unknown said...

Drumroll ... the Supershero strikes again - twice!!! Credit is probably the most seductive evil of our time. It takes major wilpower to resist. I can't believe you are already at 10kg - that is totally amazing. You are totally entitled to feel moer of a proud of yourself. Happy Applause (I was about to say Happy Clapping but thought that was way too open to misinterpretation!!!) - and another round of applause. How loud did Happy applaud for you?

TheTart said...

Go Spookie go!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

Soul Reflections said...

Way to goooo! It's so easy to fall into temptation but so hard to get out of the consequences. Good for you! I always get tons of the credit card offers but I toss them.

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Way to go spookie - I also used to do the debt thing and now I only buy something if I can afford it! So yes it was hard but you did the oh so right thing! Way to go on the gym achievement - so you say your fav jeans are becoming too big for you - sounds great!

A Captured Reflection said...

It's not easy aye? I love Joyce Meyer she is so to the point and wonderfully real.

I recommend you visit Ferby's poetry blog (it is on my links). The poetry is so moving and challenging.

Terri said...

Woo Hoo Double Congrats!!!
Actually triple - how'd you manage to make your fave jeans get too big for you?

Strong mind, strong body - lookout world!

Brigitte said...

Angel - Cool!!!

Myutopia - Yes we do, but I find that the clothes from those stores just don't have the same lasting quality. And I like to buy stuff that I can wear for a loooong time - know what I mean?

Dawn - Sheesh tell me about it!! I do feel proud, and Happy isn't one to really be loud about how he feels - but he has told me in his own sweet and encouraging way that he is proud of me too. Thanks for the happy clapp.... I mean applause - LOL!!!

Tarty - Thanks!! I need all the cheering I can get. Think I should get me a squad.....

Debs - Yep, the consequences are always the hard part hey. But if you've resisted it once - it gets easier. Right??

NMOTB - Debt free is so much better I think. And yes, though I am losing more cm than KG's at the moment. But it is all worth it!!

Karen - She is, thats why I enjoy her so much too. You never "wonder" what point she was trying to make - you just know exactly. I will go and have alook at the poetry. Hope i get a chance today...

Terri - Thanks!!! Lots and I mean LOTS of excercise and eating right (not a diet, just slowly but surely changing how and what I eat so it becomes a way of life)

Pam said...

Add my cheers to the rest, as I join your squad! I am very proud of you for resisting that temptation to accumulate more debt. My DP and I have been working on our debt payback as well, and it has been a mixture of hard-won victories and failures along the way.

Brigitte said...

Peach - Thank you!! We learn through trial and error right. We too have had our share of both victories and failures.