Tuesday, August 08, 2006

MY FAVOURITE POEM IN THE WHOLE WORLD

High Flight
Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;
Sunward I've climbed, and joined the tumbling mirth
Of sun-split clouds - and done a hundred things
You have not dreamed of - wheeled and soared and swung
High in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there
I've chased the shouting wind along, and flung
My eager craft through footless halls of air.
Up, up the long delirious, burning blue,
I've topped the windswept heights with easy grace
Where never lark, or even eagle flew -
And, while with silent lifting mind I've trod
The high untresspassed sanctity of space,
Put out my hand and touched the face of
God.
By: Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee

I love this poem - since priamry school it has been my favourite. One day at my funeral, -- if I have a funeral cause I believe I am going to live to be at least 120 years old. (Live Long and Live Strong I say.) -- I want somebody to read this poem. I think it is pretty fitting - don't you?

12 comments:

Masked Rabbit said...

beautiful poetry, Spookie. I absolutely adored this. Who is it written by? It reminds me of Gerald Manley Hopkins.

Soul Reflections said...

that's amazing!

Brigitte said...

Bunny - It was written many,many years ago - I think in W.W2 by Pilot Officer Gillespie Magee. It is beautiful.

Debs - I am also left speechless by this poem...

Unknown said...

Very soothing, don't you think? xoxo

Masked Rabbit said...

You know I love poetry. I'll have to look this guy up on the internet when I have time. Thanks Spookie for sharing something so lovely.

Brigitte said...

Bunny - You are so welcome - I don't know why I didn't blog it loooonngg ago - Glad you enjoyed it so much.

Unknown said...

P.S. Spooks ~ love the photo's site too!

AngelConradie said...

beautiful spookie! i think it is perfect for you!

Brigitte said...

Dawn - Thanks!!!

Angel - Ja, I knew you would agree with me on that!

Kelly said...

Reagan quoted this poem when the space shuttle exploded.

Linda said...

Beautiful poem!

A Captured Reflection said...

I haven't got anything exciting to say, a day at the Zoo with loads of School Kids and I'm tuckered out. But anyway "Hi Spookie".