Monday, August 14, 2006

IS IT HOW WE SPEAK OR HOW OTHER PEOPLE HEAR?

Last week my mom gave Donovan a really fun little computer. It's called Smart Start and it comes with little work books with questions in them and he has to enter the answers into the computer. He loves this game and he nags me ALL the time to play with it - but I have to play with him you see cause he cannot read and all that yet.
So yesterdy I was preparing dinner and he came and asked me if we could please play his game. I said that when I was finished peeling the potatoes I would play with him. He asked again a few seconds later and I asked him to repeat what I had told him, he replied: "When you have finished FEELING the potatos, then we will play" (In Donovan speak it was like this: "As mamma klaar die potatos gefeel het, dan sal ons speel.")

Of course it had me giggling, but it also got me to thinking, when God says something to us, how do we hear it? Or do we accidentally on purpose hear him wrong? People often don't hear what somebody else said and it can cuase quite a bit of confusion. But I do believe that when God speaks to us His voice is clear and we hear him properly - we sometimes just choose to "not hear" or "hear wrong". We need to make the effort to really listen to our Father, and put what he is saying into action in our lives.

So, what is God telling you today?

7 comments:

Diane Viere said...

What a great thought! I'm pretty sure we put God in a box regularly! I know the answer I am praying for from the moment I hit my knees!

Hearing the right thing makes a huge difference for our lives--doesn't it! You have give us a very important thought to ponder today!

Diane

Brigitte said...

PFYP - Yes, I also get my answers pretty straight up and straight forward - the thing is being teachable and obedient. That's where it gets tough sometimes. It is not really in whether we like what we hear as a response or not - it's whether we are obedient right?

Unknown said...

I think we make decisions about how we hear people before they have said anything. This is a good reminder to keep an open mind, heart AND EARS to anything and everything going on around us. I think if we are willing to keep our eyes and ears open, we will find that the universe always provides us with everything we need. How adorable was your son's reply though, felt like just hugging him! xoxo

AngelConradie said...

VERY cool sis!
got me giggling and then got me thinking!

A Captured Reflection said...

This is a fantastic example. I 'hear' what you are saying! Sometimes we just hear a certain part of a word, and minimise the rest, or mis-hear to our own understanding. Awesome illustration.

Ally said...

I agree with my cousin Karen... I found this example to be excellent... because sometimes we "don´t" want to hear and other times we "make" it sound like we want it to.....We really often don´t know how "twisted" our hearts can be without the Lord to straighten the way!

Brigitte said...

Dawn - That's very true, we do, do just that - and it doesn't do anyhting for our communication does it. We all want to communicate better - yet, we don't listen. Donovan is just funny is his own little way, and he loves hugs!!

Angel - Thats good, that's exactly what I wanted to achieve!!

Karen - Exactly right, "selective hearing" is a common thing amongst us - and it is something we should deal with.

Ally - Hi, and welcome!! Thats just what we do instead of just taking what we have heard - no matter how tough it can be and administer it to our lives - we take out only portions. It would be the same as reading something really hard to swallow in the Bible and then deciding "I don't like that, I'll just tear that page out..."
Without the Lord we would definitely walk a very crooked path - that's for sure!!