Thursday, February 16, 2006

PORRIDGE BRAIN

If you have ever been pregnant you will understand what "porridge brain" is. I had it - bad - when I was pregnant with Donovan. Your brain seems to stop working, your memory gets really bad. You forget where you put things, you forget what you were doing, you forget what you were saying, you forget where you were going. You cry for no reason and you have a very short fuse at times.

You do things that make NO sense at all and you dont know why. Most of the time all you do know is (if it is summer) that you are hot and uncomfortable (infact, even if it is winter) and you cannot tie your shoe-laces or paint your toenails or shave your legs cause your BIG FAT TUMMY is in the way.

Your husband knows that he better just "yes dear" and "anything you say dear" to whatever you say and ask, because most men are terrified of angry pregnant women. And they know, or they learn very quickly, that even though you have a tummy as huge a blimp you can still throw things rather accurately.

OK, now that I have that explained, let me tell you what I did:

One night, I was making supper. It was macaroni and cheese. I did everything right. Pre-heated the oven, grated the cheese while the macaroni was cooking, everything was perfect. I was going to be able to sit and relax for a few minutes while it baked in the oven. So anyway, about 20 minutes later I went back to the oven to see if the mac and cheese was ready yet - but I was frozen to the spot when I entered the kitchen because there was nothing in the oven!
No macaroni and cheese, even though the oven light was on and I could clearly see there was nothing in the oven, I opened it to check inside anyway (just incase) - nope, no macaroni and cheese. (Just as I suspected)

The first thing I thought was that hubby dear was trying to pull a fast one on me. And this short little conversation ensued:

me: Babes, where is the supper? (rather irritated hands on hips tummy protruding attitude)

hubby: Pardon? (HUH!? What you talking about - face is a question mark attitude)

me: (thinking for a second) Uuhh, nevermind. (scurrie back to the kitchen - puzzled)

Ok, so the macaroni and cheese wasn't in the oven. Hubby didn't know where it was or what was going on. But then a thought occured to me....

me: (thinking to myself - panick setting in)
No!
It can't be.
I know I put it in the oven.
I dont want to look.
I have to look - but what if it is.
Oh I will look SO stupid.

So I opened the fridge, and what do ya know?! There is my macaroni and cheese, raw as ever and ice cold. Oh brother, I am never going to live this one down. Sheepishly I go back to the lounge and inform the family (starving, ravenous animals) that supper will be another 30 minutes or so because I didn't put it in the oven to bake, I put it in the fridge to "set" first. (To this day I don't remember putting that dish in the fridge - I truly don't, I swear I put it in the oven.)

Anyway, hubby told my sister who laughed at me without any shame, the two of them together, and she told another friend - who was also pregnant, and she laughed just as much at me. Everyone had a good laugh at my expense. My parents, sisters, hubby and friends.
I laughed too, what more could I do. I mean I am always so orgnised and well presented, they could have their fun, it doesn't happen often (hmpht - whatever)

5 comments:

AngelConradie said...

hysterical- definite double inhaler warning attached people!
love that you've linked me- may you globble floopily all day long!

Brigitte said...

Thanks for linking me too! And may you floople globbily all the live long day.

Terri said...

lol! You wouldn't be the first person to do that. I did a similar thing once - put something in the freezer when it should've gone in a cupboard. Oh, and btw... I've never been pregnant.

Brigitte said...

Terri - Ok, so you just have porridge brain all the time... it's ok. We still love you terri

Terri said...

Aw fanks, Spookie!