Wednesday, July 26, 2006

GYM-CAPADES

Ok, so I figured it was time to tell you all that my hubby (Happy) and I have joined a gym. I am loving it and I have a trainer and all!! I have a whole personal work out plan too. Now the reason I have decided to “let the cat out of the bag” is because I have a really funny story to tell you from last night.

Last night I was working on my arms and there is one exercise I have not done yet and it is called the Shoulder Press. It has weights and you have to push the handle bar up till your arms are straight up over your head while you sit in an upright position, starting from about shoulder height. Anyway, I have been doing pretty much ok so far with the weights, I don’t have to lift too much cause I am doing toning and not body building, but I lift 20, 22 and 18 kg’s so far for my arms.

So I get on this piece of equipment and set it to 20kg –“not to heavy”, I thought - I.couldn’t.budge.it. I could not even get it half way up. I was starting to sweat profusely and my face was going bright red – after just one try…!!!
"Ok" I thought, "lets try 15kg" – hmpf! No go… looking around quickly, I changed it to 10kg (the very last weight that is still marked with an amount) You guessed it, no lifty weighty…
So I set to 1kg…..yes, you read it right 1kg. It is the very first weight and it is not even marked!! And there is a little switch you can flick which adds just 2,5kg to whatever you are lifting, I had to switch it off cause I couldn’t even lift 3,5kg’s!!!!

The worst is that there are these big muscle bound guys lifting HUGE amounts all around me and I am sitting there doing my tiny little bit and my arms are turning to jelly!!
I was PRAYING that no-one would see what I was lifting – I would have been so embarrassed. And everytime I am almost finished my little set of 10 I start to get the giggles cause I cannot believe how heavy 1kg can be for my shoulders, and then I can’t finish my set…
So when I was finally finished I quickly set the weight back down to 20kg and I put the 2,5kg switch on so that whoever sat down after me would not know that I had it on 1kg.

As a result, today I am aching and sore all over - everything I pick up feels like lead - even my tea cup. And typing this post has been a small mission accomplished. 1kg, and it has almost killed me!! LOL...

18 comments:

AngelConradie said...

i also get to giggling and then i can't do anything! like the first time i went and the trainer lady put me on the rowing machine... mwaaaaahahahahahahahahaha

Terri said...

lol! I can just picture it, hehe. You're a nut, Spookie!
;)

Masked Rabbit said...

Oh the embarrassment of the gym equipment. I was trying desperately to do the leg lift with weights and just couldn't move it. Hence my move from a gym to aerobic and combat classes to get my fitness. Glad you're enjoying it Spookie. even better that you do it with Hubs.

Brigitte said...

Angel - Yip, I remember that story. Luckily I was alone when this happened.

Terri - Thats me, what'd you expect? LOL!!

Bunny - I think doing it with Hubby is what is the most funa bout it - cause we encourage each other and help each other. If he didn't go with me I probably wouldn't be going... :o/

Linda said...

Now I am giggling! hehe that is what I would of done busted out laughing. :)
Good luck working out!!

Kelly said...

Don't feel bad I have no upper body strength either. I have some mighty powerful legs though.

Brigitte said...

Beads - Thanks! And what fun is life if you can't laugh at yourself.

Myutopia - Luckily my upperbody strength is ok, but I found out that my shoulder muscles are non existant. LOL!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Ag Spookie, one cosolation is you are trying, so in a month or so - 3kgs is gonna be a breeze. Hee Hee!

Unknown said...

Ummmmmmm did you try pulling the safety pin out LOLOL!!!

L said...

I like your new profile picture.
Keep working at it and you will be lifting with the muscle guys in no time.

A Captured Reflection said...

You are a hoot! Love your profile pic, what a young looking babe you are :-)

Soul Reflections said...

That pic is great! You look like a writer. Sore muscles just need more work. Keep them limber and don't quit!

Brigitte said...

NMOTB - That's true - I keep looking way into the future and seeing my reward... it is all that keeps me going.

Gareth - Dude, it's not a grenade you know.LOL!! The saftey pin is there to prevent you picking up too much - if you don't put it in - you will explode...

Lori - Thanks! And I plan to keep working at it, it helps when you have a drill sgt for a hubby too.

Karen - LOL!! Thanks! And Thanks. :o)

Debs - Oooh, like a writer hey? Cool!!! My friend says pain is the sign of weakness leaving your body. I like that. And like I told Lori, having a drill sgt for a hubby with you at the gym - you can't quit! But I like that too.

Unknown said...

You are so funny - but I reserve my laughter as I am about to embark on an exercise program as well and I ain't that big in the muscle strength dept. However I am not allowed to do weights (can you hear how upset I am about that one!?!?!) but I love that you quickly put it back to make yourself look like a SuperSHEro lifter - go for it sister!!! xxooxx

Unknown said...

P.S. no mistaking the gorgeous pic this time - really cool!!! xoxo

Brigitte said...

Dawn - It's ok, you can laugh - I know you want to. It's fine really, I can handle it.

I had to put it back I have rep to uphold - at the gym specially - everyone there sees my super powers regularly, I couldn't let on that they failed me for a moment there - what would they all think??

P.S - Thank you! And glad you are back - I missed you.

TheTart said...

Hey leave the big stuff to the guys ... just small weights for us girls. Good for you with working out. You will feel so great!

Smooch,
The Tart
; )

Brigitte said...

Sweet Tart - Oh I already feel great - it is so worth it!! As the saying goes: No pain, no gain"