Tuesday, July 18, 2006

CLASSICS

I found a CD that I have of Beethoven and I am just loving it! I love the classics. It is so relaxing and soothing.

On Friday night as I mentioned, I watched Pride and Prejudice - ladies this is a MUST see. It is the most beautiful romantic movie I have seen in the LONGEST time. The calssic story written by Jane Austen is a favourite among many and I feel they really did it justice.
The picturesque countryside, the HUGE mansions, the electricity between two young people who feel attracted to one another when they touch for the first time at a ball. The tension when there is so much to be said between two people and neither of them can find the words to say what needs tobe said.

Oh it was absolutely wonderful. I think I will go and buy it for myself to keep. There is definitely something to be said for the authors of old. The way they wrote, the vocabulary, the humour. You have to read so carefully so you don't miss it. And for the way in which things were done in the 18th century. Young men and women didn't touch - even in a greeting. There was never any shaking of hands as we do today and the only time they could really touch without creating a stir was at a ball while dancing. Greetings were very formal and the ladies would simply courtsey and the gentelmen would give a small polite bow.
They never called each other by name - it was always Mr and Miss so and so. A gentleman in those days truly was a gentleman. They would stand whenever a lady entered a room even if she went in and out of the same room 3 or 4 times - everytime she would enter, they would stand up.

There is one scene where Mr Darcey helps Miss Lizzy up into her buggy and that first touch between them leaves a remarkable impression on them both - a very short and common touch, but for them one that was so charged. I cannot remember when last I so enjoyed a movie. So pure and innocent. I do think sometimes I could have happily lived in those days. I am such a romantic at heart and I get so swept up in something like that quite easily.
I don't think I shall ever forget the vision of Mr Darcey as he appeared out of the mist that early morning when Lizzy had been out walking cause she couldn't sleep. It is so obvious that he had to exsercise a considerable amount of self control so as not to run to where she stood breathless at the sight of him and draw her into his arms and whisk her away.

Do yourself a favour, get this movie and travel back in time for a while... it is so worth it.

7 comments:

AngelConradie said...

that's quite a review- you've made me want to see it and i wasn't particularly interested in it...

Brigitte said...

I just know you will enjoy it. It really is a beautiful story.

Kelly said...

I love the BBC miniseries.

TheTart said...

Dear Spookie!!!

I have enjoyed ALL your comments over at Kyknoord's bloggy. I just keep going back to see if there are more.

If I ever find myself a winner of a Kyknoord future contest I will make my way to his place & a special stop off to me you!

BTW, great post here! I am with you ... Pride & Prejudice leaves me in a mountian of happy tears. Oh to go back in time, heaven! Go check out Emma with Gwyneth Paltrow. Maybe I have been ruined by these movies ... you see I am on the lookout for my Mr. Knightley!

Happy Jane Austen reading/watching,
The Tart
; )

(a.k.a. Kyknoord Judge)

Unknown said...

I'm assuming you saw the recent version with Keira. I loved her in 'Bend it Like Beckham' and 'Love Actually' - but then the pouting became unbearable for me. If you can see any of the BBC versions, those are a treat indeed. On the subject of love stories - have you seen THE NOTEBOOK?

Brigitte said...

Myutopia - It is a pity I missed that - sounds like it is just up my alley.

The Tart - Oh you flatter me so!!! I only wish I could be witty like that ALL the time - but it sort of comes and goes...:/
I would so love it if you could stop over in Spookie Land one day - I would feel most honoured - even more than I feel having you simply visit my bloggy.

I have watched Emma - loved it, loved it, loved it!! Imagine being a lady of leisure in those days - I do like to think I would have had a multitude of gentleman callers knocking down my fathers door....(I can dream can't I?)

Thank you so much for stopping by, I did pop in to your blog yesterday - by it was sort of just a quick fly over cause I was so busy here at work so I didn't leave a comment - imagine my surprise, and slight tinge of guilt at seeing you here (as I beleive it only the best of manners to comment if I visit somewhere) this morning. Mental Telepathy is a powerful thing - or did you just feel my Spookie vibes I left over your blog...

Anyway,I promise to visit you soon.
Spookie.

Brigitte said...

Dawn - Hey!! You snuck in there while I was writing a reply!!!
Yes, it was the one with Kiera - and I did very much enjoy "Bend It Like Beckham"(BILB) and "Love Actually" - I don't think she pouted as much in "P&P" I don't recall that - I do remember it in BILB though. I don't have "DSTV" or "Cable" I think it's called there - but I am sure if I did I could have seen the BBC versions. I have not seen the Notebook - I will definitely keep my eyes open for that one.
HUGGIES!!!!