Monday, July 10, 2006

THE BOYS, THE BEATLES, THE WEEKEND AND……..THE FOOTBALL

So the kiddos are home! And all is well. Sean and Donovan are taking a bit of time adjusting again cause Sean is at an odd age where he is too young to fit in with Mark, but he feels he is too old to play with Donovan and Donovan doesn’t get it. So there are ructions and tears every now and then – but it will pass.

Yesterday afternoon (Sunday) I went and watched a Beatles show done by “The Fabulous Four”. It was loads of fun and they were very good. I love the Beatles’ music and The Four really paid a good tribute to the Beetles. “She loves you” “Hey Jude” “Lucy in the sky with diamonds” etc. When we called them back for an encore they did some other really great 60’s music. “The Who, Rolling Stones (the lead singer Duck does a wonderful Mick Jagger impression) and some others. My dad is also Duck – so that was cool too.

My church has just opened a small library where we can borrow books and movies and CD’s etc. I borrowed the DVD collection for the Left Behind story series and I watched the first one last night. Kirk Cameron (From Growing Pains – a popular TV sitcom from many years ago) acts in it and it is very good. Very close to the book’s story – not much left out. The collection only consists of 3 DVD’s but I think they have put a few stories together in the following two DVD’s. I loved the Left Behind books and have read a lot of them. And I am totally enjoying the movies too.


And finally I come to the sensitive subject of last night’s Football final. I cannot believe what Zidane did. WHAT WAS HE THINKING!!! Head butting that guy in the chest like that!!!???? It was his last match and he goes out with a red card and a shameful memory – the whole world is going to remember him for that – more than for his brilliant soccer career. And it was rumoured that he was going to recieve the Golden Ball award as the best player of the whole World Cup. He threw it all away in a single moment of anger. I realise that he was tired and tensions were running high - but man ...... what a stupid thing to do. Not only did he drop the French team at the most crucial time during the match, he threw away all his efforts too.
So disappointing.
I am convinced that that was why the French lost – they were unable to score another goal without Zidane there and so it came to the dreaded penalty shoot out. And I think they just couldn't beleive what had happened either. And with Zidane red carded and Henry out (he was replaced) there were no strikers to take part in the penalty shoot out if it came to that.
The pressure, oh the pressure was just about too much to bear. Even after 33 minutes of extra time the scores remained at 1 all, it came down to a penalty shoot out. I felt so bad for the goalie – it’s not a good place to be in a final match like that. Finally Italy scored a perfect 5 out of 5 in the penalty shoot out and France missed one – it was not stopped by the Italian goalie – don’t get too excited, the ball hit the cross bar and bounced just in front of the goal line and out – missed by less than 6 inches. I don’t want to even know what Zidane must be feeling now – what a way to end a career. The world cup was so near yet so far for the French. And even though they dominated most of the game and had a few very close misses, it was the Italians who took the gold in the end.









Sigh ....

7 comments:

Linda said...

Wonderful weekend. :)
I either read the books or seen the movies in the left behind series. They sound familiar.

Congarts to Italy!

Soul Reflections said...

Glad you had a great weekend. I love the Beatles esp. Paul.

Masked Rabbit said...

Hi Spookie,

Ah the footie - what a shocker, eh? We were so convinced that France would win but, as you say, Zidane threw away their chances.He will be regretting that decision for a long time.
Glad the boys are home safe and that you had a great weekend.
Thanks for your comments on my blog recently. I especially appreciated the one about the porch light. It really touched me.
Thanks honey.

Brigitte said...

Beads - They are stories of what happens after the Rapture, when Jesus cmoes back to earth. How life could be for the people who are Left behind - theya re brilliant stories. And they really make you think.

ITALY - Blegh!!!

Debs - Ja, the Beatles were amazing. Their music will never die. Paul is the coolest Beatle, I must agree there.

Bunny - Aye, what a shocker!!! I hope Zidane doesn't berate himself too much - regret is a heavy burden to carry.
You are so welcome Bunny.
I sent you an e-mail btw - I hope you got it. Love you!!!

gail said...

Good to hear that the boys are home and settling. Glad too that you enjoyed "The Beatles" Sounded fun.I agree- "Blegh" Italy .
We were barracking for France in this house although only number 1 son saw it as it was on at 4am and he is on uni winter break.
Love your blog spookie, Blue

gail said...

Good to hear that the boys are home and settling. Glad too that you enjoyed "The Beatles" Sounded fun.I agree- "Blegh" Italy .
We were barracking for France in this house although only number 1 son saw it as it was on at 4am and he is on uni winter break.
Love your blog spookie, Blue

Brigitte said...

Thanks Blue! Love you!!