Monday, April 10, 2006

8 YEARS!!

Today is my anniversary - a whole 8 years!!! Ok, I know, 8 years is not that long compared to my parents' 32 years etc. But I can honestly say, I am proud of myself, and my hubby.
Marriage takes alot of effort from both parties to make it work. And not 50/50, no. I say it takes 100/100. Each person should give 100% of themselves, not 50%.

My hubby and I have been through some turbulent times, as I am sure most marriages have been, and I almost gave up once, but I stayed after alot of prayer. We have grown alot in our 8 years and we have built up a strong, loving and firm foundation together. And every year it only gets stronger.

Being a stepmom has been one of the biggest challenges of my life! I had an instant family cause my husband has custody of his two boys. But I love tham dearly - as if they were my own, and I make sure they remember their mom on her birthday and at Christmas and Easter and Mothersday and Valentines day and all those special little days. And I encourage them to phone her and chat to her - spontaneously. She comes to stay over so she could spend time with her sons and they go and visit her too. She is not married and has her share of problems - I am not going to go into details. But for certain reasons, my husband has custody.

But the point of this post is that it is our anniversay. I know that alot of people didn't think we would last, but I always remember that song by Shania Twain that my younger sister dedicated to us, it goes like this: (It is a very good description of where we are now and how we've come so far. )

When I first saw you, I saw love.
And the first time you touched me, I felt love.
And after all this time, you're still the one I love.

Looks like we made it

Look how far we've come my baby
We mighta took the long way
We knew we'd get there someday

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong

You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night

Ain't nothin' better
We beat the odds together
I'm glad we didn't listen
Look at what we would be missin'

They said, "I bet they'll never make it"
But just look at us holding on
We're still together still going strong
You're still the one I run to
The one that I belong to
You're still the one I want for life
You're still the one that I love
The only one I dream of
You're still the one I kiss good night


I'm so glad we made it
Look how far we've come my baby

Thank you for 8 wonderful years my Babes!
I love you PLENTY!!!
Happy Anniversary, I can't wait to celebrate 10 years with you!!!

8 comments:

kyknoord said...

Hey, congratulations. That's fantastic :)

Terri said...

Congratulations Spookie! That's a lovely song :)

Soul Reflections said...

Congratulations! Sounds like you're on the right path. My grandchildren have a stepmom too. My son has full custody for reasons that are not mentionable but there's always the hope that the mom will turn her life around. God, have your way in their lives, whatever it takes to bring them into your kingdom. Great post.

Darlene Schacht said...

Happy anniversary! You've come over some big bumps in the road, and still you're here--congrats.

Catherine West said...

Congratulations on your anniversary!
What a shame I just found your blog - I have just returned from South Africa! Now I will have to go look on the map to see where you live!!

Brigitte said...

KN - Thank you KN. Really.

Terri - Thank you Terri - the song is very special to me. Specially since my younger sister dedicated it to us.

Deb - Thank you for your encouragement. It really means alot. I wont stop beleiving that my husband and children and their mom will come to know Jesus the way I do.

Darlene - Thank you. And yes I am still here and I aint goin away - I'm like a bad rash, in a good way. I know there are some more bumps ahead, but with God at the wheel, I can't go wrong.

Cathy - Thank you. Are you South African or were you just visiting? And thank you for visiting my blog. Hope you will come again.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee - you never knew he would be a toilet paper hogging, hot water user-upper, shampoo guzzlin man did you! I am so proud of you both and escpecially of you my precious!

Brigitte said...

gg - I am proud of me too!!!