Wednesday, January 10, 2007

FIRST DAY AT SCHOOL!!!

Donovan in his uniform - huge grin (very proud).
I so love this photo!!

Sean in his new uniform going to grade 5 (a very good big brother).

Mark in his new High School Uniform (finally took one this morning)

All three boys together - much to Donovan's delight!
(edited to reload photos and add a few new ones - 11/01/2007)

First of all let me say that I am very happy that I am not a grade school teacher today. If I have ever seen a school in chaos and exitement it is Donovan's Primary School this morning. He is very excited to go and be in Big School at last, he has really waited for this day to come for a very long time. And because Mark has now gone to High School, Sean is very happy to be the Big Brother in the primary school. I think this year is going to be a good year him.

Mark was very stressed out and nervous this morning I think, cause he was very grumpy and nothing seemed to fit right for him. I think he feels out of sorts in a new uniform and he didn't want his picture taken - he wasn't feeling very much like smiling. But I will get one of him when he feels less stressed. He will soon realise that high school is not all that scary and he will settle in. I will leave him be for a few days - just so he can start to feel a little more at ease in his own skin again. He does look very dashing in his uniform though. I think by Monday we should all be feeling more relaxed...

Yesterday I went to the school with Donovan to show him where his class is and to meet his teacher. The children were left with their teacher and the parents went to the hall for about an hour to hear an address by the headmaster and the Grade 1 "mother" of the school.

Lida was very funny and she told us that after the first two weeks or so of school the kids will probably start trying to find excuses not to go to school cause they expect to be able to read and write tomorrow already, and all they really do in the first few weeks as she put it is " piepie en was hande "*. She said that in such an event, even if we wrap up a little stone from the garden to give the kids to give to teacher (a little present) they will make all the correct ooh and aah sounds to make them feel extra special, that way they will have a very posotive reason to go to school. If they don't go they can't give teacher her present. LOL!!

There are lots of Grade 1 classes this year and therefore the classes are small, which makes me very happy. Grade 1 is an important year and the kids need individual help and now they will be able to get it. I really like the headmaster, he is a wonderful Christian man and when you ask the kids about him they will tell you "Hy deel net lekkergoed uit!!"** He always has sweeties in his pockets to give to the kids when he goes around the school grounds and is very well loved by all of them.

I think Donovan is going to be VERY happy in his primary school.

* "Weewee/pee and wash their hands"

** "He just hands out sweets!!"

14 comments:

Soul Reflections said...

Cool! How exciting to be embarking on the rest of their lives! The parental joy and satisfaction is undeniable. God bless.

Brigitte said...

Debs Exciting and nerve wrecking all at once!! LOL!
God Bless you too.

AngelConradie said...

donovan looks so smart! i'm glad you like your boy's school.

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Ag man, he looks so cute!!! Well I survived the day and Dylan too was just as excited!!! 1pm couldn't come quicker so that I could go and fetch him!!!! (I posted pics too). I can see the first two pics - just a block with a cross in!!!

Brigitte said...

NMOTB - We did it again!! You were here while I was at your blog!! LOL!!!

I am still going to fetch my boys from school - they go to aftercare :o(.

I noticed the one picture wasn't showing just now - but when I looked again now it was. Maybe it will show up later again.

Brigitte said...

Angel - He does hey. And I am glad HE likes the school!!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Ag man I am dying to see the first two pics - still not showing. Anyways, how did D enjoy his first day? My D loved it, although they did nothing. Just the idea of being in big school was fun enough!! Take Care

Kelly said...

They look very handsome.

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

That is better - they look so handsome and Mark looks to small to be in high school already!!!!! Geesh how time flies!

Brigitte said...

Marge - Tahnk you. I will tell them you think so.

NMOTB - Well, he's almost as tall as me. Same height I think as Damien - or maybe a little bit taller, can't remember so well now...

Glad you can see the photos now!!

Terri said...

I remember looking forward to starting high school... but the novelty wore off very quickly, lol! The boys are all very dashing in their uniforms, Spooks:)

AngelConradie said...

thanx for the pics sis!

Brigitte said...

Terri - I remember it too, and I love high school. Matric was the best year for me!!

Angel - issaplesha!! :o)

Anonymous said...

Are these your good lookin' kids?? They are a beautiful group of angels. You are a blessed woman. Write to me offline and let me know how you are doing. L&H, :)