Friday, January 12, 2007

CHIVALRY IS DEAD...

Yep, it's a sad, sad state of affairs. I know that this is nothing new to most of us - but I find it rather upsetting. Even a simple "hello" and "goodbye" is becoming obsolete. People don't greet each other when on the phone anymore - nobody says goodbye when they finish a call, they just hang up.

Ladies, let me ask you - when was the last time a man actually stood up when you entered a room? Or apologised for swearing if you were present? Or opened a door for you - office or car?

A lot of men say that it's our own fault as women that things have gone this way - and quite frankly I think in a lot of cases they are right. There was the whole "women are equal to men" thing and women burnt their bras too. But I know - deep in the heart of every woman there is a need - a desire, to be treated with respect and just good old fashioned manners. No matter how equal we profess to be to men in the modern world.

I think it is important to teach our children the old fashioned stuff like opening a door for a lady - or an elderly person (male or female). Stepping aside to allow them to go first. Greeting people cordially with a handshake, a smile and eye contact. They may in fact run into a few women who do not want to be treated as such - and if so then they simply need to oblige to her wishes, but that doesn't mean every single woman in the world does not want to be treated like a lady.

And these things need not only be taught to our sons - but to our daughters too. Sure girls don't open the door for a man and should expect to be allowed to go first - but respect for elders and greeting people correctly is an equally important quality for young girls and women to possess as it is for boys. If a girl wants to be treated like a lady, she should make every effort to behave in a lady like fashion. Especially in society of today.

Likewise when you greet somebody with a handshake or a smile it opens up many doors for building new relationships which could be very important to you in the future. People in turn are drawn to you and want to get to know more about you - just from the manner in which you greet them. Think about it for a minute, people who are withdrawn and sullen and don't talk to anybody or greet anybody or make eye contact are generally left alone. But somebody who enters a room and greets you and introduces themselves is immediately creating an opportunity of building a new relationship.

Maybe I am old fashioned - but nothing makes me prouder than to hear that my children are well behaved and have good manners - even if it is a fight at home and constant reminding to get it to happen, it is good that people outside of my home experience their good manners. That's what really counts to me as a mother. And I have to admit that my day is always made a little better when a man treats me with good old fashioned manners too.

And ladies -please if a man shows you a little chivalry of any kind - remember your manners and say "Thank you" - with a smile.

8 comments:

Kelly said...

The only time my husband acts like a gentlemen is when his dad is around. His dad is always getting on him to be more a gentlemen.

I found a website that gives you code for your blog to have daily bible verses: http://www.biblegateway.com/usage/votd/custom_votd.php

AngelConradie said...

i think its very important- and its something that seems to have fallen by the wayside completely.
i'm very lucky in that i seem to work with mostly gentlemen- allowing me to go through a door first and so on. i like it very much.

kpjara said...

I totally agree and thankfully I am married to one of the few chivalrous men alive!

Masked Rabbit said...

Oh yes, I read this and totally agree. My father has always acted like a gentleman and I was brought up to respect elderly people. I agree with everything you said.
One of the sad things I was told is that a friend's father has given up being caring of women as one too many were aggressive when doors were opened for them etc.
It's a sad day.

AngelConradie said...

hey sis- i tagged you!

Brigitte said...

Marge - Could that be a solution maybe.... lol!!
Thanks for the likn. Will check it out soon.

Angel - Good manners and chivalry is something you will find is very prominent in Christian men. Your very blessed to work with such gentlemen.

Kim - You are blessed too!!

Bunnygirl - Some women really need to get back to a few very imortant basics hey? That is sad to hear.

Brigitte said...

Angel - Thanks, I checked it out!!

Terri said...

Good manners never fail to impress - good for you on teaching them to your children :)