Monday, September 15, 2008

DON'T MESS WITH THIS MAMMA; I HAVE JESUS IN MY CORNER!!

Ok, I now that my last post was about how I wanted to post off my oldest son – truth is, I was really so in the midst of things that I almost let my emotions get the better of me. Although my patience and my perseverance was tested this last week as I have never had it tested before, it was still fruitful in the end. Let me explain…

But first let me set the scene….

{Picture if you will a boxing ring with a single spotlight overhead. In the center of the ring is a gentleman with a Tuxedo on and a microphone is lowered before him from the darkness beyond the spotlight. He introduces the “fighters”. Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight’s dual is an age old battle of teenager against rules and parental boundaries. The fight that will last 4 rounds, the rules are as follows. No punches below the belt, no fighting dirty. Prayer can be used as a weapon at any time and both fighters are to move back to their corners at the sound of the bell. Now, let me introduce the fighters to you! In the Red corner, weighing in at 15 years old with an attitude to boot and a defiance to match iiiiiiisssssssssssszza Maaaaark-a Maaaaaatttthewsssssza! And in the white corner, weighing in at years of parenting and sacrifice and love, with a longing to teach her children respect and discipline, with the Jesus Christ as her personal trainer and coach iiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssza theeeeeea Prayiiiiiing Mooooootherrrrrrr!!!!!!

Fighters, please enter the center ring, respect and obey the rules, and remember you can use your one permitted weapon at any or at all times.}

My oldest son really pushed and tested his boundaries by breaking almost every rule we have ever put into place. And he did this while my husband was away for the week on a business trip. So I had to deal with each incident alone. One thing I did though, before confronting him each time (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday) was to seek God for wisdom, strength, words and composure – and I tell you I really felt His presence during each encounter and was very encouraging to know that I was not alone. I was invincible and I stood my ground knowing that I was doing the right thing, no matter how difficult or unpleasant it was.

I decided on punishments appropriate to the crimes and the behavior and then I would have to inform my husband of the goings on at home everyday. That was hard and I imagine it was hard on him too especially being away from home. He assured me that he would take over and deal it when he came home.

I spent a lot of time praying for my husband. I prayed that God would give him wisdom, strength and calmness to deal with the situation. I prayed that he would see things for what they were and not be fooled by lies and manipulations. I prayed that my husband would support and uphold my decisions made in his absence.

Well, I was blown away. My husband came home and sat ALL THREE the boys down at the dinner table and basically told them that even in his absence his authority is still the governing authority. He told them that I was his partner and I came “before” them and that if they disobey me when he is not home they are disobeying him. And when they disrespect me, they are disrespecting him. Everything I prayed for was answered and I was overjoyed!! I was then able to also affirm my husband after the fact and tell him that I was very impressed with the way he handled the situation and I was proud of him. And that’s the truth!! I really was proud of him! And secretly I was proud of me too. I am so thankful that God was so faithful in answering my prayers each time I came to him. I learned so much from this whole experience and I will always deal with conflict or disobedience or defiance in this manner. It is the only way that has positive results.

So, don’t mess with this mamma – I have Jesus in my corner – and I remembered to use the weapon I had at my disposal at all times!!

~~posted for brigitte by her sister angel

2 comments:

AngelConradie said...

very nice post.

oh, and i tagged you sis: current addictions!

AngelConradie said...

wow, you know, i sommer got a lump in my throat when i read this b.