Monday, September 18, 2006

FAITHFUL IN THE VERY LITTLE

This weekend was really relaxing. And I learned a lot from Sunday’s message too. Peter, our Lead Elder was talking about being faithful with the little. And he said something that really made me think. He said we must ask God “What have I got in my hands?” by asking this we are asking God to reveal to us what we have at our disposal to use to bring glory to him NOW! We need to stop looking ahead to the future to when we will have our millions or when we will have our big house with the thought that “When I have my millions – then I can really serve God!!” That is noble – but God wants us to be faithful with what we have now too. Even if it is not much, like the story of the widow that we read about in 1 Kings 17 verses 10 – 16.

So he arose and went to Zarephath. And when he came to the gate of the city,
behold, a widow was there gathering sticks. And he called to her and said, "Bring
me a little water in a vessel, that I may drink." And as she was going to bring it, he called to her and said, "Bring me a morsel of bread in your hand." And she said, "As the LORD your God lives, I have nothing baked, only a handful of
flour in a jar and a little oil in a jug. And now I am gathering a couple of sticks that I may go in and prepare it for myself and my son, that we may eat it and die."
And Elijah said to her, "Do not fear; go and do as you have said. But first make me a
little cake of it and bring it to me, and afterward make something for yourself and
your son. For thus says the LORD the God of Israel, 'The jar of flour shall not be spent, and the jug of oil shall not be empty, until the day that the LORD sends rain upon the earth.'" And she went and did as Elijah said. And she and he and her household ate for many days. The jar of flour was not spent, neither did the jug of oil become empty, according to the word of the LORD that he spoke by Elijah.


You see, because she was faithful and used the little she had to make the bread – even though she was feeling very desperate at the time – God provided for her, just as he promised!! This is a beautiful picture of being faithful with the very little, and God will be faithful with a lot. He is faithful and He is MORE THAN ENOUGH for us. He is Jehovah Jirah, our great provider.
How do we become faithful in the very little? By asking God to show us what we have that we are able to use now to bring Glory to his name. Take for example Moses when God spoke to him in the burning bush. God said to Moses “What do you have in your hands?” and Moses answered “A staff” and God told him to throw on the ground and it turned into a serpent…
God showed Moses that what he had in his hands right then and there could be used to speak powerfully to Pharaoh. And Moses then had to take the little he had and be faithful and know that God would come through for him – which he did, in a BIG way!

You see out God is so faithful, faithfulness is part of His character – He can never be unfaithful. So ask God to show you what you have in your hands today to bring glory to Him – and He, being faithful will show you. I know you will be surprised, and then when he has shown you, put it to use faithfully because He will be faithful in the big things when you are faithful in the very little things.

{Added later: - My mom is so clever and she knows me SO well. She came up with the perfect name for me!! it is (Trumpets and fanfare) Spookie the Warrior!!! So, there you go. You can all still call me Spookie - or whatever you want to call me - LOL. Thank mommy Darlin, you are so clever!!}

11 comments:

Diane Viere said...

I think the name fits perfectly! Good suggestion Mom!

To your post this a.m.......such a great reminder! You are doing a good job of faithfulness......here in blogosphere! Keep up the good work!

Diane

AngelConradie said...

warrior spookie indeed! i like it!

eph2810 said...

I like the name you mom has given you :)...

Don't just love it when God is showing His Glory through the Word. I wish I would be more faithful with the things I have. Don't get me wrong - I am thankful for what I have, but I still have learn how to glorify Him with the things I do have. Thank you for sharing this passage today - needed to hear that..
Blessings on your evening/morning...

Brigitte said...

Diane - Thank you, you are a blessing as always!!

Angel -(BIG GRIN)Me TOO!!!

Iris - That is exactly why this message was so important to me too. I also need to learn to glorify Him with what I have, and I pray that when we learn new things from the word and when we have a new revelation that it will be cememted into our hearts and we will begin to apply it to our lives.
Blessing to you too, and thanks for stopping by!!

kpjara said...

Your new name reminds me of a warrior angel! I love it! Mom's always know us best, eh?

I love this post BTW...and will ask in prayer "What's in my hands Lord... use it"

Soul Reflections said...

You remind me of Deborah. She was a mighty warrior that saved Israel. Into the battle she went...brave, mighty and courageous. She stood her ground and gave glory to the Most High God.

Your writings are ever so good!

Brigitte said...

Kim - Thanks!! Mom's do always know best - it's been proven time and time again. I have been asking the same thing in prayer...

Debra - Thats amazing Debs, I have actually had prophecy like this before...I see myself as a warrior (spritually) too, but this is the second time this one has been spoken over my life. Oooo - I sommer get goosebumbs!! Love you Debs!!

Unknown said...

I love those words, "what have I got in my hands?" Such a great reminder that where we are is exactly where we are meant to be and nothing more has to happen to enable us to give our lives purpose and ourselves value. You lovely Warrior - you and your Mom are just so fabulopus. xoxo

Terri said...

Spookie The Warrior seems to fit really well :)

Brigitte said...

Dawn - Have I told you lately how special you are to me and how much I love you? MUA!!

Terri - Yes. I think so too. Moms are so clevery hey?

Soul Reflections said...

Don't forget Spookie, we are MORE than conquerers. A warrior is always looking for the next battle. Each battle is finished and a warrior moves on, looking forward to another battle. Maybe I'll call you Spookie Lookie! :)