Monday, December 11, 2006

FROM MY MOM...


MY CHILDREN ARE SUCH A BLESSING TO ME

I have been so humbled over recent years by the wisdom, love and choices my children have made.
I have been so blessed by their integrity, faith and courage.
I have had so many new and wonderful experiences through my children and I am eternally grateful to God above for blessing me so richly!

Brigi – when you got married and had an instant family of 2 dear little boys, Dad and I were so sad for you. We felt you had taken on so much for your 22 years of age and you would have such a burden from day 1 of your married life. As parents we wanted so much more for our little girl.
Well you sure proved to us that we were mistaken! We know it was hard for you all initially, but you dealt with it in such a loving way that we were amazed, filled with pride and mightily humbled! There are times when it is still really hard and I pray for you to remain as brave as you have been.
And so precious, I write this for all the step-mothers (such a harsh term) and step-grand parents –aunts –uncles everywhere!
Brigi reached out to her boys’ mother in such a loving way and included her in everything. I was going ‘WOW’ in my mind when I saw how Brigi treated the boys’ biological mother and I remember asking myself “Where did Brig learn all this stuff. How can she be so accepting and open hearted to this other woman?”
Brigi sat with her little boys in hospital when they were sick, did their speech therapy with them, helped them with homework, problems and endured their moods and trying times. She literally took them into her heart as her own BUT AT THE SAME TIME she never tried to replace their own mother. When she had her own little boy she still treated them with the same love and attention. It was because of Brigi that we accepted those 2 boys as our very own and we love them as our own – we never think of them as anything else.
What I have learned from Brigi about step-children and being the Granny/Grampa/auntie/uncle cousins or whatever, is the following:

Accept them (they are not going to ‘go away’)
Love, love, love them as your own
Be there for the step-mom in every way
Accept the new step-mom with love an appreciation

Gracious Father, Thank You for using my Brigi to teach me humility. Thank You for her faith and wisdom. Thank You for her loving patience and endurance. Thank You for bringing her family into our lives and homes and blessing us out of our boots and sox. Pour Your love and care over Brigi as she leads her family to a closer walk with You Lord. Hold her close when she feels smothered by conflict of emotions as happens with children. You are a kind and loving Father and I am so thankful that You walk with Brigi each day. In Jesus’ name, Amen!

Brig – a song comes to mind at this moment in time, some of the words are as follows:

Just a closer walk with Thee,
Grant this Jesus is my plea!
When we’re walking close to Thee,
Let it be, dear Lord, let it be.

I am weak but Thou art Strong.
Jesus keep me from all harm,
I’ll be satisfied as long as I walk
Let me walk close to Thee!

Love, love, love!


Now anyone reading this can see why I am who I am. When a Mother loves and encourages her children the way my mom does - you cannot help but love and encourage your own children in return. I thank God everyday for my precious Mom.
I love you too Mom - to the stars!!!
I am also so very blessed to have a husband who loves and supports me through everything. I don't think I would have made it this far had it not been for him. I thank God everyday for him too, for his love and understanding. Together we have learned so much about life and parenting. And although 8 years ago when we got married my parents felt a sadness for me, their faith in my husband has grown too - and I know that they know now that I married the right man.
Love you Babe - To infinity, and beyond!!! (himbeeyaam!!)

7 comments:

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

You are all so blessed to have a mom like that!!!!!!

Terri said...

I'm at a loss for words. But in a good way :)

Kelly said...

What a great mom!

Brigitte said...

NMOTB - I know, she really is a blessing.

Terri - ;o)

Margw - Thanks. She is the best.

Anonymous said...

we are truly blessed to have our mom aren't we!

the not so "new" mom on the blog said...

Hey Spooks - You guy's must have a wonderful Christmas and Take Care!

Brigitte said...

Angel - We surely are!

NMOTB - Thanks!! You too. Be safe on the roads and don't get sunburnt!
Love to all!!